webpick of the week
Whether it’s Andy Warhol, Picasso or Banksy, art has the potential to be insightful, communicative, emotional, social and inspiring.
In conjunction with the launch of a new identity and visual system the new Art.com is a unique hybrid that keeps customers engaged, informed and entertained. Beyond providing easy access to a great selection of art it’s a platform where people are educated and inspired through an impeccably designed online publication. This is balanced with a redesigned purchase experience that offers the customer intelligent options as they navigate from selection through checkout.
The site offers inspiration through unique, quality content curated by leaders in the design and art industries, as well as new navigation features and discovery tools: a personal profile tool, You Art for collecting and sharing art; a dynamic View Art in Room tool on every product page; and a Recommended Frame engine that provides visitors with framing and mounting options.
• Developed in house at Art.com over six months the site is part of a new corporate identity and visual system developed by ferroconcrete.
• Content tools include dynamic category sorting and filtering that allows visitors to narrow the search criteria by shape, color, size and popularity; a visual search that enables them to find a specific piece of art using a desktop or smartphone image; and a recommendation engine based on customer behavior and click stream data.
• The site was built with a combination of home-grown and open source systems .NET, Java, HTML5, CSS3, Mongo DB, Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Solr and Endeca.
• Flash best enables the Frame Studio feature but framing and mounting options are still available for customers who don’t have the plug-in.
• Since launching in late June, the site has had over one million unique visitors.