The St. Louis Public Library closed the great bronze doors to its downtown Central Library in 2010 for a two-year restoration and renewal of the historic 1912 Cass Gilbert designed building. “We were asked to design the signage and environmental graphics inside the building and the graphics on the new Locust Street entrance fountain,” explained Deanna Kuhlmann of Kuhlmann-Leavitt, Inc.
“We worked closely with the Library and project architects at Cannon Design over the two and a half year period to establish a graphics and signage system that integrated seamlessly with the grandeur of the existing architecture and the streamlined sophistication of the reimagined spaces. The building’s architectural patterns inspired new patterns that were repurposed as a wayfinding method through the four levels. Typography of both large and small scale, color of selectively subtle and bold presence, and a variety of materials were used to delight and inform visitors. We were honored to be a part of a project so culturally significant to the St. Louis region.”