Responses by Laura Gosnell, design director, Unboundary
Background: The site is a fresh, new digital face for us at Unboundary. The updated design vocabulary includes vivid, engaging animations and supergraphics to project our optimism about what we can make possible for potential clients and partners and provides deeper understanding about our approach to transformation design.
Challenges: The homepage was the most challenging. We designed initial comps based on our assumptions of what Webflow could do natively, but learned relatively quickly that what we thought we could accomplish was outside the bounds of that set of tools. It took several rounds of revisions to get to a homepage experience without bugs or weird interaction issues. Our development partner, Edgar Allan, greatly helped by troubleshooting solutions to all our really difficult challenges. We’re very happy with how the homepage turned out, but it was definitely the most time- and labor-intensive piece of the site to design and develop.
Favorite details: We’re particularly proud of the homepage experience and the header animations. They are unexpected, bright and interesting, and give what could otherwise be fairly staid content new life. In particular, the color-changing scroll at the bottom of the homepage is something we’re in love with even months after our initial design. We also feel that the client case studies do a great job of providing insight into what it’s like to work with us through relational, real-world examples. We had to build a lot of knowledge in a quick time period—learning to use Webflow confidently, animating video headers, working with a new development resource, etc.—and we feel like the process and the end showcase the flexibility and skill of our entire team.
Future developments: We built the site on a relatively short timeline. That said, most everything looks and functions the way we hoped it would. Initially, we intended to hire professional resources to do a comprehensive photoshoot of all our work as well as a custom video for the homepage header space that told our story in a brief, dynamic way. We ended up postponing that video to a later date and using a different solution for images of our work based on timing.